Biddeford Planning Board tables UNE request

By RANDY SEAVER | Editor

The Biddeford Planning Board voted 3-1 Wednesday to table the University of New England’s request for an extension to their existing permit for the construction of a 180-foot research pier on the Saco River.

The board narrowly approved the pier project last year but the univesity needs an extension because construction of the project has been stalled by a city-imposed development moratorium and new questions regarding a 250-foot buffer zone that may have been overlooked during the previous permitting process.

UNE has requested a similar permit extension from the Saco River Corridor Commission (SRCC), one of several regulatory agencies that previously approved the project.

The SRCC held a public hearing last week and is expected to render a decision about UNE’s extension request at their next meeting on Aug. 26 in Dayton.

Planning Board member Roch Angers said he made the motion to table UNE’s request because the SRCC has yet to make a decision regarding the 250-foot buffer and how that requirement might impact the project.

The SRCC approved UNE’s initial permit almost two years ago. The Planning Board gave its initial approval for the project in August 2024.

Neither board knew about the buffer zone, which was created 25 years ago as a compromise that allowed the univesity to build two dormitories that exceeded the city’s height restriction.

Angers previously raised concerns about how UNE’s approval process has been handled.

Almost one year ago, — just days before the planning board was scheduled to vote on UNE’s request, Angers appeared before the Biddeford City Council, saying he — as a citizen — had concerns about the project’s approval process.

“Something feels fishy about this,” Angers told the council.

Subsequently, former Mayor Marty Grohman attempted to remove Angers from the planning board, saying his public commentary was inappropriate.  Grohman’s move got no support from the city council.

When contacted Thursday morning, UNE spokesperson Sarah Delage said the school is considering its options about how to proceed.

What do you think?