Ready To Serve

GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney and Biddeford Mayor Alan Casavant had at least on thing in common on Tuesday.

Both men showed their detractors that they are as tough as nails and more than ready for a political fight.

READY TO SERVE: Michael ready is sworn-in by City Clerk Carmen Morris as the newest member of the Biddeford City Council

Although Casavant’s nomination of Michael Ready for the vacated Ward Seven council seat was approved by an unexpected 7-1 vote, it included more than 30 minutes of sometimes emotional and heated commentary.

The final outcome also caused a member of the city’s planning board to announce her resignation as a protest against what she described as nothing more than “political theater.”

But any lingering doubts about Casavant’s ability to move the council when needed quickly evaporated Tuesday.

Councilor Melissa Bednarowksi also proved she is more than willing to stand as the council’s lone voice of dissension.

At issue were two competing philosophies about who should be appointed to fill the council vacancy that was created last month when David Flood gave up his seat to again pursue a career as a newspaper publisher.

Councilors Melissa Bednarowski, Brad Cote and David Bourque listen to public comments about Mayor Casavant’s nomination of Mike Ready

Bill Sexton was one of three candidates who actively campaigned for the seat in November, but finished in second place behind Flood.

Ready previously served on the council, and Casavant said Ready’s prior experience — especially since the council is facing the prospects of  a daunting budget debate — is what mattered.

Casavant remained steely eyed during the floor debate, signaling confidence in his ability to shore up the votes he needed.

But many of the councilors seemed torn, and at times appeared emotional and wavering with their decision.

“This is a tough situation,” said Councilor David Bourque, looking toward the audience, where both Ready and Sexton were seated with their family members. “It’s a tough spot for us to be in.”

IF LOOKS COULD KILL — Council President Rick Laverierre and Mayor Alan Casavant seemed tense during public comments about the nomination of Mike Ready

Council President Rick Laverierre, however, said the council had a sworn obligation to uphold Casavant’s appointment unless they could offer a compelling reason why Ready should be disqualified from service.

“I, too, find myself in a quandary,” Laverierre explained. “But we need to remember we’re talking about the charter, and the charter is clear about how we should approach this.”

Councilor Roch Angers said he felt physically ill about the dilemma.

“I feel sick to my stomach for both of these men,” Angers said. “It should be the people saying how things go. We should be listening to the input of people from Ward Seven.”

Angers, who helped the mayor during last year’s campaign, then questioned Casavant directly, asking him if he would consider Sexton for nomination.

The mayor did not flinch. “I have a nomination on the table,” he replied curtly.

The tension in the room was palpable.

Councilor Richard Rhames voiced concerns about Ready’s appointment, reminding his fellow councilors that Ready was one of the “MERC 5,” a group of five city councilors who approved a controversial, five-year extension of the city’s contract with the Maine Energy Recovery Company in 2007.

Members of the public were equally divided on the issue. Sexton’s parents and his son all addressed the council, urging them to support Bill Sexton, but also praised Ready.

“Mike [Ready] is a nice man, but Mike didn’t run for the seat,” Sue Sexton told the council.

Sexton said she understood why Ready wants to help the city now, but reminded councilors that her son ran a hard campaign and went door-to-door, looking for votes and listening to residents’ concerns.

Bill Sexton also praised Ready, but had strong words for the mayor.

“The mayor knows nothing about me,” Sexton said. “He never called me. I have been referred to as a puppet, or maybe it’s because [I’m a Republican] or because I supported the casino. I don’t know, but I just want a shot at what I worked so hard for.”

Bill Sexton (right) told reporters he will likely stay involved in city politics and said he was disappointed that the mayor refused to even consider him as a potential nominee.

Sexton closed his remarks by reminding Casavant of his mayoral campaign pledge to be a “positive, professional” mayor.

“I ran my own campaign in a positive, professional way,” Sexton said. “This should be about what’s best for the city. The charter gives you the power to appoint but that does not mean you should just pick your friends.”

Judy Neveaux, a resident who also worked on Casavant’s campaign, reminded the council that Casavant was supported by an overwhelming margin of voters in November.

“The people clearly trust this mayor to do what is right for our city,” she said. “I think it’s important to let the mayor do his job.”

Although the comments were often tense and sometimes pointed, resident Ron Peaker brought the evening to an all-time low by accusing Flood of being “dishonest” about his intentions during the campaign.

Bill Sexton later denounced Peaker’s remarks, calling them “inappropriate and pure speculation.”

Just moments after Ready was sworn in by City Clerk Carmen Morris, Sue Sexton asked the mayor if she could approach the podium. She thanked Ready for his willingness to serve and wished him well.

Sue Sexton told All Along the Watchtower that she would be resigning her seat from the Planning Board as a protest to Casavant’s appointment.

“Despite all the things he said during his campaign, it has become painfully honest that our new mayor is just playing political favorites,” she said.

Are you experienced?

Biddeford Mayor Alan Casavant is expected March 6 to announce his nomination for the Ward Seven city council seat that was vacated last week by Councilor David Flood’s resignation.

Newly elected mayor Alan Casavant (right) celebrates with his campaign manager on Election night

Because of a serious flaw in the city’s charter, the voters do not get a say, even though Flood served fewer than 90 days of his term. That needs to be fixed.

I live in Ward Seven, and have spent the better part of the day talking with city councilors and the mayor about the candidate whom I think should replace Flood.

According to the city clerk’s office, 893 voters in Ward Seven cast ballots in the November 2011 election. Of those 893 voters, Flood received 390 votes (roughly 40 percent of the votes cast).

Bill Sexton finished second in the three-way race, earning 270 votes. Sixty six voters left their ballot blank when it came time to choose a Ward Seven councilor; there were four write-ins and Patricia Whitehurst received 160 votes.

For disclosure, I voted for Flood.

When Casavant ran for mayor, he campaigned on a promise to be “positive and professional.” He campaigned on the idea of restoring civility; of rejecting political cronyism; of engaging the entire community, not just those who agreed with him.”

Those were the reasons why I and so many others worked so hard to help get him elected.

We wanted a change.

But did we get change?

Word on the street is that Casavant is planning to nominate former city councilor Mike Ready.

I like Mike Ready. Mike served this city well, both as a city councilor and long-time member of the School Committee. Mike is principled, smart and hardworking.

In short, Mike Ready is a outsanding nominee, but he’s not the right nominee.

If Mike Ready had run for the seat last year, it’s quite possible that I would have supported him over David Flood.

But Mike did not campaign. He did not get signatures to be on the ballot. He did not knock on doors. He did not put up campaign signs or participate in debates.

Bill Sexton did. Bill Sexton wanted the job then, and he wants the job now.

Casavant, however, says he needs experience on the city council, pointing out that three of the eight remaining councilors are serving their first terms on the council.

Sexton supported a proposed racino. Casavant may also see Sexton as someone who may have supported Twomey for re-election during the mayoral campaign.

But those items never came up during a break at today’s Democratic Caucus, when Casavant told me that the council has too many inexperienced members. “We’ve got a tough budget ahead of us,” he explained. “We have a lot of complex issues facing us during the next few months. I need people who can hit the ground running, people with experience.”

That rationale may sound good on paper, but it doesn’t pass the straight-face test.

Maine Senate candidate, former city councilor and current school committee member Jim Emerson served as treasurer on Casavan’t campaign team.

Emerson launched his political career with zero experience after being nominated by Mayor Wallace Nutting to fill a vacancy created by the resignation of Phil Dumont in 2006.

Emerson served with distinction and honor. The city did not fall apart. Emerson later campaigned for and won the seat on his own merits.

Mayor Donna Dion appointed Roger Hurtubise to replace Roch Angers on the city council in 2003. Hurtubise figured things out pretty quickly.

It is clearly Casavant’s prerogative to nominate anyone he chooses. More importantly, it’s the council’s prerogative whether to accept or reject that nomination.

Casavant chose last year to run his campaign without a slate of like-minded city councilors. I respected and admired that decision, even though it seems politically naive.

But there’s no reason why Casavant should attempt to stack the council deck after the fact.

The right thing for Casavant; more importantly the right thing for the city, is to try to respect the will and intent of the voters.

By appointing Sexton, Casavant would be sending a strong signal that his campaign themes were at least a bit more than slogans.